Friday, August 22, 2008

Days 340...341...sToP cOuNtiNg...kEEp gOiN...

~CrossFit Level 1 Certification at GSX Athletics last weekend~
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DAY 340...THURSDAY...

I wasn't feelin quite right when I woke up. I got to the gym feelin a little nauseous and my head was cloudy. Luckily, once I got into bench pressing...it started to go away. I had a revelation of sorts in the process. I looked at my numbers from last week. I did 18 Bench Presses the first round. I thought to myself...as I was lying on the bench...grabbing the bar..."If I can get 19...I'll be happy." I got to 19 and started to rack it...thinking I was "done". A said from behind me, "You got more than that in you!" I did 22 and got up. "Why do I stop like that?!? Why do I think I'm done...when clearly I am not?!?" I said. Before A could answer, the lightbulb lit up above my head. It's because I count. I determine a number and when I reach it...I'm done. It's good to have a goal, but not if you stop there. It ended up bein a pretty good workout...not my best performance...but I can't complain.

I met J back up at the gym that evening to try out the heinous workout that I put the 6AM class and my client, L through the day before. I thought it would be well used as my "cardio". WOW! It sucked from round 1. MAX Reps in 20 minutes workouts always do for me...but this one was really tough! JJ from the morning class did 8 and J, my friend...boss (ha!)...ex trainer...did 9. What do ya know?!? I did 9 and stopped with 1 min and 1 sec on the stopwatch. Crap! I did it again with the whole number thing! I realized that I can't box myself in like that anymore. That workout was the funnest suckfest EVER!

WORKOUT (A.M.)
----------------
MAX REPS BENCH PRESS (65LBS) 3 SETS
22+17+20= 59 TOTAL

THEN:
12 CHIN UPS (STRICT-NO KIP-USED BLUE BAND)
18 "PULL APARTS" (BLACK RESISTANCE BAND)
3 SETS

THEN:
8 SHOULDER PRESS (45 LBS
3 SETS

WORKOUT/CARDIO (P.M.)
--------------------------
1O KETTLE BELL SWINGS (35 LBS)
5 BURPEES
10 SUMO DEAD LIFT HIGH PULLS (55LBS)
MAX ROUNDS IN 20 MIN = 9 ROUNDS (18:59)


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DAY 341...FRIDAY (today)...

I covered the 6AM group class for J. It was a tough workout...heavy...mentally challenging. Some of the Olympic lifts and barbell work that we do in CrossFit can be extremely challenging...to learn...and to teach. Needless to say, I hoped I would be "good enough". The 6AM class went well. I felt bad because one person struggled. She was doing it, but she became frustrated...discouraged...and she quit after the first of 5 rounds. She really was doing just fine. I felt bad that I could not convince her to keep going...for HER sake. I hoped it was an internal issue for her and not something that I was doing wrong. JJ did really well. He is always willing to "suffer" so he always does well...no matter what the workout is.

I trained my lil sis, K, afterwards. She was awesome! She fought for every round of her workout. After, I worked out with A. It was legs...and abs. I felt more confident on the leg part...I'm not where I want to be...but I'm getting closer. Oh...have I mentioned that I HATE doing ab work?!? Oh yeah...I HAVE...several times. My abs were burning for 10 minutes after I left, but overall...it went well.

So...on a random but exciting note...I had a little time to kill before I had to be back at the gym, so I decided to check out the GSX CF blog. I was looking at it...enjoying all the pictures and scrolling down...and then...BAM!...there I am!...in a picture (above) from last weekend's certification...and the caption underneath says..."Here a Level 1 participant (ME!) demonstrates perfect KB Swing technique...". I am so NOT one to brag...but that was great to see. I have been so down on myself and my abilities for a while now. It's lame and so girly...but the reassurance was such a boost to my confidence.

It was time to go back to work...I was nervous about going back up for another group class. I want people to learn from me...not so I can feel important...so I can feel like I'm doing some good through my job. I want other people to get the satisfaction out of working out that I do. It can be life changing. The 5:30 PM class consists of 2 men. They are always gracious. They were willing and hungry to learn and improve. It was fun to help them and feel...competent. They asked...and listened...and did what I said...and learned. It was very satisfying. I felt good...like I CAN do this...well.

Now I'm so sleepy...yes I know...a common theme these days. That's what happens when you go to bed at midnight and get up at 4:30 AM. I'm bummed that I didn't get to do today's WOD or any cardio for that matter. Today is done...but tomorrow is a new day. I'm gonna turn in for the night and get some much needed rest!

WORKOUT
---------------
BACK SQUAT (WORK UP TO 3 REP MAX)
45 LBS X 10
65 LBS X 5
75 LBS X 3
95 LBS X 3
105 LBS X 3
115 LBS X 3
125 LBS- FAIL
(I should've only gone up to 120lbs the last time...I knew that. 10lbs was too big of a jump for me at that point. I think I would've made it.)
115 LBS=3 REP MAX

THEN:
STEP UPS WITH 65 LB BARBELL ON BACK (18 IN BOX)
10 EA LEG-3 SETS

THEN:
15 SWISS BALL HAMSTRING CURL
3 SETS

THEN:
ABS
10 SPRINTER SIT UPS
10 V-UPS
10 TOE TOUCHES
10 REVERSE CRUNCHES
4 SETS

No comments: