Thursday, August 14, 2008

Day 334..bRiNg iT, bOyS!!!...

I've ALWAYS been friends with "boys". I consider it both an honor and a bit of an insult. I can see A's face now...WHAT?!?...AN INSULT!?! Lemme explain...before anyone blows a gasket. I always give bad news first...

SOOO...as for the insult part...In the movie "When Harry Met Sally" (an all time favorite of mine...probably because I relate so well to Sally...ugh), Harry says that men cannot be friends with women they find attractive. Hmmm...I think there is a little truth to that...so what does that mean for me. Well, I think that it means that I DO in fact have guys I consider friends...W...A...J...but they don't see me "that way". I'm like the comfortable old jeans...the ones with holes...the ones you don't really want other people to see you wearing...the ones that you know you need to get rid of but it just feels so good when you put them on. I've ALWAYS been "just a friend"...that REALLY SUCKED when I was young and single...now it is as it should be. Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to attract anyone...NOR do I wish to have my friends find me attractive...but every girl wants to feel pretty. Regardless..I put that away when I'm with "my boys"...so it's okay.

As for the part about it being an honor...well IT IS! My guy friends keep me on my toes...they MAKE me do things that I would not normally do...things that are good for me...things that help me grow. They are honest with me...sometimes BRUTALLY honest. I feel like I can trust what they tell me. My friends are all strong. I love to workout alongside them. It drives me CRAZY because I can't keep up...but I still love it. They call me out when I'm being too dramatic or sensitive. I don't always like it, but it's still good to have people to keep you in check.

I'm lucky to get to work with a couple of my friends. They make me laugh and sometimes they drive me crazy...especially when they get together and tease me. I have a perfect example. Today, A and I were working out. It was going well. We were working hard but doing well. I felt good today. I came into the gym in a bit of a funk...sad/mad about previous circumstances...but I was fine once I got there and today was the first "Strength Training Day"...that I have felt remotely strong. I'm not really strong, but I felt good...in control...able. It was probably because I FINALLY got 7 hours of sleep last night. I was feeling a little silly because A recommended that I get some Converse "Chucks" to wear when lifting instead of wearing my cushy gym shoes with jacked up heels. I got some...I like em but I felt conspicuous. A told me I looked strong...AWWWWW...probably a lie...but I appreciated it...wait! I said they tell me the truth...anyway that's what I LIKE to hear. J came in near the end of our workout and said, "You get new shoes?"...and chuckled (pardon the pun) at me. I laughed and whined that I was feeling weird and didn't want to be teased about it. Then at one point A told me to put away the 45 lb bumpers he had been using. I, being the WONDERFUL friend that I am, went over to take them off the bar...and then...I caught a glimpse of him looking at J and laughing. I said, "Stop laughing...I'm not your (bleep)! Do it yourself if your gonna laugh!" He made a pouty mouth...I put em away. I'm a freakin pushover! As I walked away, J said from underneath the rack he was using to bench press, "I'll be done in a minute...then you can put mine away too!". They both laughed and gave an imaginary high five to each other. I couldn't help but laugh too...it was kinda funny. Whatever. I know that they would SO miss me if I was not around!...at least they better!

A and I got done and left J to finish his workout. Geez! They love to give me a hard time! I told A that. He reminded me that they ARE in fact guys...and this is what they do. I snapped back. Oh yeah...I guess I'm expecting them to do things they way I would...but...I'm a GIRL! If they did act that way, I would be repulsed and think it was gay. So even though they tease me and give me a hard time...even though I wish at times that they would remember that I am a "lady"...I like being friends with them...and I hope they consider me a friend as well. BRING IT, boys! I can take it!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*WHAT THE?!? I JUST NOTICED AS I TYPED WHAT WE DID TODAY FROM MY JOURNAL THAT WE SKIPPED THE SHOULDER PRESSES WE WERE SUPPOSED TO DO!!! DANG IT!*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARMUP

WORKOUT (UPPER BODY)
--------------------------------
BENCH PRESS (65 LBS) - 3 SETS/MAX REPS EA TIME
21+15+16=52 TOTAL (THAT'S 6 MORE THAN LAST WEEK!)

THEN:
10 CHIN UPS
(NO KIPPING ALLOWED TODAY...STRICT...SO I USED THE SMALLEST BAND-THE BLUE ONE)
15 BAND PULLS (BLACK RESISTANCE BAND)
----------------------
3 SETS

THEN:
20 OVERHEAD TRICEP EXT (25 LB DUMB BELL)
15 CONCENTRATION CURLS (15 LB DB-SEATED)
----------------------------------------
2 SETS






...I JUST REALIZED THAT I NEVER DID CARDIO...CRAP!
I FEEL FAT!!!...

2 comments:

Shorty said...

You go, Girl! I'm glad to hear (not that I couldn't already tell) that you're one of the gals that knows how to keep relationships with guy friends on the level they are supposed to be kept...totally platonic. I think that just goes to show how strong you are, M. Not only physically, but emotionally, too. I'm not one of those girls either that looks for compliments or admiration from guys I'm around. Yeah, it's great sometimes (depending on who's paying the compliments) if praise is thrown my way from male friends but I don't feed off of it. Keep up the great work, and I hope the guys don't tease you too much. I don't like it when B & R get going with their jokes about me either. I can only return so many "guy" jokes to pay them back! : )

s said...

Omg lady! I love it. . . . U in chucks! What u shoulda said was shut up jerks. I had pink chucks back in the day. In all actuality, they are lucky to be around you. I wish I could get you to really believe that. So. . Ok stuart, look in the mirror & repeat 'I'm good enough, I'm strong enough, and god dang it people like me.' U r the best & don't let anyone tell u any different. :)