Friday, August 8, 2008

Day 328...mOviN dOwN lOweR...

"A GREAT BUTT IS THE BENCHMARK OF A GREAT BODY. IF SOMEONE HAS A TIGHT, TONED TUSH, YOU KNOW SHE'S LITERALLY WORKED HER BUTT OFF TO GET IT." ~Chris Cander, "Define Those Curves" - Oxygen magazine

Today, I was armed with a workout that my workout buddy gave me...I teasingly call him my "Ninja Master"...ha! ha! So, it's interesting how no matter who you are...no matter how psycho you are in the gym...GENERALLY speaking...most of us don't always push ourselves to the limits that another can push us...at least that's how I am. That's why workout buddies are so great and why personal trainers have a place in this world. When I worked with personal trainers in the past (before I BECAME one)...their ability to push and encourage me was much more important TO ME than their knowledge of muscle anatomy.

Yesterday was upper body and today we moved on down to the lower body. There are exercises that I avoid because of my knees and my irrational fear of injury. I've been successful (if you can call it that) at "Crossfitting" because FOR ME...the pain and the mental part...the wondering if you really can finish in one piece...is easy. OKay, so it's not EASY, but it comes much more naturally to me than lifting a heavy weight...resting...and repeating. Split squats...I haven't done a split squat in over a year. They hurt! They scare me because I'm not known for my athletic prowess or grace...in other words...I'm clumsy and it takes great balance to stand on one foot and squat...with the other foot propped up on a bench behind you...bar on your back. I wanted to skip it...but I can't turn down a challenge. It sucked! I can only imagine how heinous my form probably looked and even though he gave me a hard time yesterday...a REALLY hard time...on many subjects...I found myself missing the "Ninja Master" today. I needed SOMEBODY to tell me what I tell my "girls" that I train..."Good"..."You got it!"..."Don't stop...one more...push...fight".

Even though I was alone...I did it!...every bit of it! I could've lied about reps or skipped what I didn't like...but I didn't. My knee and back were really feelin it on the drive home. I had 2 ice packs...one on my right knee and one on my lower back. And my butt...let's just say...I won't be forgetting that I have one for a few days! I better grow a HOT badonkadonk after all this pain! I came home so tired from getting up at 4:30 AM to cover J's 6AM class. I laid on my bed with my little boy and fell asleep under the blanket that my big sis crocheted me. 2 hours later...I'm a new woman!

I'm lookin forward to doing a good, long Crossfit "Met Con" workout tomorrow!

WARMUP
---------------
DYNAMIC WARMUP (JJs, SJs, HIP ROTATIONS, HIGH KNEES, SIDE STEP WITH RESISTANCE BAND BACK & FORTH GYM, "BIRD DOGS", "GROINERS")

WORKOUT
---------------------
DEADLIFT 5 REP MAX
95-105-115-135-145

THEN:
10 BULGARIAN SPLIT SQUATS WITH 45 LB BARBELL ON BACK
3 SETS

THEN:
12 BACK EXTENSIONS (ON GHD HOLDING 10 LB BUMPER)
4 SETS

THEN:
AB CIRCUIT
10 SPRINTER SIT UPS
10 V-UPS
10 TOE TOUCHES
10 REVERSE CRUNCHES ON FLOOR
4 SETS

CARDIO
-----------
30 MIN ELLIPTICAL HILLS

“STRONG GLUTES ARE IMPERATIVE FOR OVERALL BALANCE, STRENGTH, AND EXPLOSIVE POWER.” ~Jenny Lynn, 2004 Arnold Classic International Figure Champion

1 comment:

Shorty said...

I can totally relate to wanting to have a "badonkadonk"!!! I've been working on that myself! I love it when I feel that good soreness a couple of days after a workout. I'm feeling that right now in my legs from doing dumb bell snatch squats the day before yesterday. My upper legs and butt are two areas that I want to look really firm, but I never seem to work them enough. And, I can totally relate to someone else pushing you harder than you can push yourself. I'm the same way! Having a workout buddy is the best way to go! Keep up the hard work, girl! You're doing an awesome job. NOW...where are my high heels??? :)