Saturday, August 2, 2008

Day 322...sTroNg mOmmY...

Whether we like it or not...we all end up having some of the traits of our parents...some are good...some we'd rather not have. I say weird things that remind me of my Dad ALL the time like, "I understand the words you're saying, but I don't know what they mean?" I also have his obsessive nature. I personally don't see that as a bad thing. As my workout hero, Mark Twight, says, "SOME DEFINE OBSESSION AS NEGATIVE. I SAY IT'S HOW YOU GET THINGS DONE." I conquer.

So now, as a parent myself, I wonder..."What qualities will My children take from me?" There are so many parts of myself that I already see in them. My oldest is a perfectionist...she is afraid to try new things for fear of failure...as they say..."the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". My middle has what I call my "quick wit"...others would refer to this as being a smart a**...the comebacks flow...as does the sarcasm. My son is methodical. He does the same thing...the same way...all the time. In his world...there is NO such thing as divergent thinking. Sigh... There are many things I want my children to be...many qualities that I hope they will possess...some of them I have...and many...I don't. I'm not easy going. I worry WAY too much. I have a quick temper and a sharp tongue. My self esteem is lacking. So, you may wonder...what ARE the qualities of worth for them to inherit?...and what does this have to do with working out???

I went up to the gym today with 3 kids in tow. 2 are mine...1 was borrowed. All kids love that place. They see rings and balls and lots of open space to go crazy in. Mine were no exception today. It took FOREVER to do a fairly short workout because of the constant interruptions...and the "watch this"...and the "can you help me with that". As I started programming and writing my workout on the white board, my middle daughter imitated me. I saw her going from one thing to another...but I was focused. Then, she said "Mom, I wrote up a workout too!" Not only did she write it...she DID it! It warmed my heart to see my 9 yr old jumping rope and squatting (with good form I might add) and doing box jumps. I realized once again...just how much our kids watch us...and why it is so important to be a good example. She watched...and she learned.

Finally I began my workout. As I put the plates on the bar, I noticed all 3 kids watching...trying to count the weight. MY daughter asked, "How much does that weigh Mommy?" I replied, "135 pounds." I heard, "Wooow." in whispered tones. Then as I began my dead lifts, I saw the look of surprise. I heard, "Your Mom is strong!". I felt pride. When I warned them to stand back and I swung that 53 pound Kettle Bell...and I grunted and yelled as I swung it overhead...I saw them watching again...surprised...maybe even a little scared due to the noise and look of intensity that I'm sure was on my face. Ummm...yeah...it was just confirmed...Sis says I looked "kinda scary". Okay, so I wasn't the regular old Mom they see everyday. I wasn't "Cooking Mommy" or "Shopping Mommy". I was "Strong Mommy" today. It was a pain trying to workout with them running around, but I'm so glad they went. I'm so proud of the Mom that they saw today...hard working...determined...strong. I showed those kids that a Mom is MORE than just good night kisses, grilled cheese and rides to soccer practice. They saw first hand that you can grow up to be a woman with long fingernails...one that wears high heels and lipstick...and you can still be strong too.

I realized in the gym that I must portray the characteristics that I want them to take from me. If I want them to be confident...I should be more confident. If I want them to be easy going...I shouldn't take everything so seriously. My workout was okay today...but the lessons learned WHILE working out...were amazing!

WARMUP
---------------
250 M ROW
RUNNING AFTER KIDS, DEMONSTRATING A ROPE CLIMB (to a cheering crowd of 3), TEACHING BOX JUMPS AND CORRECT SQUAT FORM, PROVONG THAT I REALLY CAN DO A PULLUP, ETC.

WORKOUT
------------------
10 DEAD LIFTS (135 LBS)
10 GHD SIT UPS
10 KETTLE BELL BENT-OVER ROWS (10 EA ARM-44 LB KB)
10 BOX JUMP (28 IN BOX)
10 KB SWINGS (1.5 POOD = 53 LBS)
10 GHD BACK EXTENSIONS
10 BURPEES
3 ROUNDS FOR TIME- (??? TOO MANY INTERRUPTIONS TO TIME)

CARDIO
--------------
BREAKING UP FIGHTS, CARING FOR A BUMPED HEAD, AND CLEANING UP THE GYM

S's WORKOUT FOR KIDS
-------------------------------
10 JUMP ROPE SINGLES
10 SEC TUCK SIT ON PARRELLETTES
10 RING "SWINGS"
10 SQUATS
10 BOX JUMPS (12 IN BOX)
10 JUMP ROPE SINGLES
3 ROUNDS

2 comments:

arik said...

your daughter is so cute!!! she almost looks more like kathy than you... hope your ready for monday strong mommmy!

MC said...

Awww...thanks! She is pretty amazing if I do say so myself! I'm ready to work! Cya manana!

-M