Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Day 345..hOw BoUt a fEw dEad LiFts wiTh yOuR puLL uPs mAAm!?!...

Pull Ups can be my nemesis at times. They NEVER get easier for me, but I REFUSE to quit trying. Today the first part of my workout was 5 Dead Lifts and 10 Pull Ups for 10 rounds. It was good...except for one little problem...it felt like a Pull Up workout with a few Dead Lifts thrown in. I think it shoulda been either 10 and 10 or even better...maybe I shoulda switched the numbers...more Dead Lifts...less Pull Ups.

My hands have gotten pretty darn tough. I can climb the rope with no gloves and I don't get a single blister anymore. It doesn't even really hurt too bad now. My hands used to tear open when I would do a large volume of Pull Ups. That hasn't happened in a while. Today I came close...real close...to ripping my hands open. Even now...they are sore and bothering me. I was able to do the first 40 Pull Ups kipping. After 40, I noticed a small hole in the palm of one hand...and I thought..."OH CRAP! I know what's gonna happen next if I continue kipping for another 60 Pull Ups!"

I don't like tearing up my hands...for obvious reasons...it hurts...but mostly I avoid it because it hampers my workouts for about a week. I decided to swallow my pride and use the small band for the last 60. I still kipped but with the little bit of help from the band...I did not have to hold on quite so tightly or kip quite as hard...and I tried to make up for the "help" of the band by coming up to chest height on the bar rather than chin height.

The Dead Lifts were a piece of cake...that means I probably needed more weight...but I knew lifting that heavy weight in addition to the Pull Ups would shred my hands. Luckily I came out of the gym "in tact"...no blood...or missing skin...just sore hands...but that's okay. A year ago I could not do 1 Pull Up...today...I did A LOT. It hurt...but I DID IT!!!

WARMUP
--------------
ROW 750M
ARM CIRCLES
HIP ROTATIONS

WORKOUT
-----------------
5 DEAD LIFTS (115 LBS)
10 PULL UPS
10 ROUNDS

THEN:
ROW 250 M
25 GHD SIT UPS
ROW 250 M
25 SPRINTER SIT UPS
ROW 250 M
25 ABMAT SIT UPS (FEET TOGETHER-UNANCHORED)
ROW 250 M
25 GHD SIT UPS

STRETCH

1 comment:

Shorty said...

You go, girl! I admire your strength and dedication to pull ups. I haven't worked on ANY since I worked out at J's last time and how long ago was that??? I did complete my workout last night, tho, and it was good. I ran two laps then did 20 each of push ups and sit ups, then ran another two laps and then completed 40 more each of sit ups and push ups. I topped it off with one more lap; my goal was two more so I would've made it a mile and a half, but my legs were quitting on me. That's the first time I've pushed myself to run two days in a row (usually I alternate days) and it felt great! No soreness when I started off.

I would love to learn how to kip so I can master pull ups better. At this point I can only do about three in a row (with no assistance) before having to rest. Maybe you can train me on that sometime! B helps me by holding my feet when we workout together and I can do a lot more, but I would love to do them completely unassisted!

Have a great workout today! I look forward to hearing about it!
K