Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Day 48..."cHiN Up!...sMilE FacE!"...


When I was growing up, if any of my brothers or sisters were sad or feeling down, it wasn't unusual to hear my dad say,"Keep your chin up!". He still tells me that when I'm struggling with something. I don't know how it came about, but we kids adapted the saying to, "chin up! smile face!" (said in a very cheesy, sing songy way with emphasis on up and face). When I woke up this morning, I felt a little dread. The room was dark and for my house, it was pretty quiet...no crying or fighting...only soft conversation from afar and the shower running. My eye was feeling swollen and as I stumbled out of bed to start my day and take my medicine, I thought, "I'm just not in the mood to be sick!" It's Halloween for one, so my kids are excited and amped, and they want me to be excited and cheery too, but I just hate being sick or feeling forced to relax. I've never liked to lie down or nap during the day. I like to go, go, go. It's almost like I'm afraid to be still and quiet...like I'm afraid to be alone with my own thoughts. I came out and said, "Happy Halloween!!!" and got them off to school.

Now I'm alone and trying to figure out my workout for the day. I looked for some alternate exercises on the internet and I think I've got it figured out. I looked up shingles while I was on and was so grossed out by some of the pictures. I realized that YES, I AM sick and I DO feel bad...YES I DO itch like crazy...YES it IS not fair...YES this DOES cause an unwelcome "bump in the road"...but...I WILL be okay...and I may feel ugly and down, but as bad as it is...so far...my case of shingles is mild compared to others. So, I'm taking the advice of my Dad and I'm going to try to" keep my chin up" today. First order of business: change and get busy working out...

WEEK 7/DAY 3
I had to improvise....
THRUSTERS 65# (I used 2/25# DBs and it nearly killed me....didn't have 20# DBs...so I used 2/15# DBs...too light, but I did the same motion as a thruster with a bar)
PULLUPS (duh! I was looking for alternate exercises and remembered I have a chin up bar. It's not the same, but I used a step stool and did jumping pullups.)
21, 15, 9
SUMO DEADLIFT HIGH PULL 35# (used my new kettlebell...yea!)
PUSHUPS
21, 15, 9
(FORGOT TO TIME IT, BUT I WAS SWEATING AND HUFFING AND PUFFING)

CARDIO
30 MIN RUN ON OUTDOOR TRAIL (3.7 MILES)
10 MIN WALKING COOL DOWN

I'm glad I worked out...and I will NEVER think I can't workout as hard at home. That was hard for me...maybe b/c I'm sick...I dunno, but I got a GREAT workout in. The run was SO good. I missed W...not in a sad lonely way...in a "dang it! he missed a great run!" way. He knows how great the trail can be. It was 67 degrees and tiny brown leaves were falling like snow...the breeze was blowing. It was perfection all the way! That run made me smile!

No comments: