Saturday, October 6, 2007

Day 23...maybe I'm not a TOTAL sideshow freak...at least not EVERYday...


I got to the gym ready to workout. I needed to hurry because my sister, S called to tell me about a lunch get together for my Dad's upcoming birthday at my favorite Mexican restaurant, Mariano's. My youngest sister that I don't see much couldn't come celebrate on Sunday, so she wanted to get together Saturday over lunch. I was stressed for time because I already had a late start going to the gym after attending my daughter's early morning soccer game. S really wanted me to go, I never see my other sister, and I never pass up an opportunity to go the Mariano's, so I decided to hurry up and do my best to make it.

My workout wasn't too long, so I got to work. I went back to the back of the open area at the gym to do a few extra things when I was done with the "prescribed" workout and a lady motioned for me to take off my headphones. When I did, she asked me if I am a personal trainer at the gym. I had to use extreme control not to laugh and say "Me??? Yeah right!" I just said that I am not a trainer. She was surprised and asked me where I came up with my book of workouts. I told her that I trained with W, the best trainer ever to work at that gym, for a year and that he had taught me exercises and correct form and that he provided me with my book of workouts when he left. She started telling me about how her good friend is a Marine and that she was watching me workout (See! People really DO watch me! It's not just my imagination!). She said that what I was doing reminded her of some of the things that he does and she told me that she was impressed by the amount of strength it takes to complete such exercises. She continued on and I realized that she was talking to me like I am something that she could never be. She started qualifying what she was doing and telling me that she had never been to the gym until recently and that she had lost 12 lbs. I told her that I used to weigh 200lbs and that it took me a full year to lose 70 lbs and that I started small and slowly worked my way up. She was encouraged. I never tell people that to impress them. I tell them that because I am not special, I just work really hard and I never cheat. I tell them that in hopes that they will realize that they can do it too and be encouraged to continue and to push themselves. I went on with working out. There is a young (prob mid to late 20s) couple that I see in there on Saturdays from time to time. The guy asked me what I was doing once before when I was doing assisted pull ups. He came and stopped me and asked me "Where do you get your workouts?" I bragged on W once again and told him that he left me this book as a gift. He said that he was impressed and that my workouts (actually W's) looked really good. I thanked him and continued...frantically trying to get done and get home to take a shower and make lunch...feeling funny...like I wasn't worthy of the compliments I received...

Something occured to me later as I recounted the stories to my husband in disbelief....I realized that eventhough it sometimes angers me or hurts my feelings when people stare or act like I'm a freak at the gym, that is what I'm used to...what I expect...It's hurtful and complimentary and strangely comfortable all at the same time. It was nice to have people take the time to express nice things to me and look to ME, an awkward, not athletically talented, ex fat girl, for advice. I have to keep reminding myself that I've worked hard and I am worthy of such comments. I'm sure many more days of playing the part of the "side show freak" are to come, but today gave me the boost I needed to get me through those days. I say it all the time...and I know he is so busy doing more important things than reading this dumb blog...but I owe so much to my friend W for helping me become more, so much more confident...better...stronger...I've thanked him countless times and it never seems enough. Thanks, W.

WEEK 3 / DAY 6
(warmup -5min)
DB DEADLIFT 50#
INVERTED ROWS
PUSHUPS
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

I ADDED 50 SQUATS DOWN TO LOWEST PLATFORM FOLLOWED BY 1/4 MILE RUN @ A TREADMILL SPEED OF 9.0 FOR 3 ROUNDS
I ALSO ADDED TRICEP PULLDOWNS AND BICEP CURLS- 15 REPS @ 15# FOR 3 ROUNDS

CARDIO
RAN 1 MILE
This was all I had time for, and I was so pressed for time, that I didn't write down times, so I don't know how long I took total. I only know I was hungry and dead tired afterwards.

No comments: