Thursday, October 4, 2007

Day 21...tick...tick...tick


This morning I woke up later than I wanted to and so I felt very hurried, because I had a follow up appt @ 9:45 with the podiatrist. It's so stressful trying to workout and get to appts early in the morning. Most people just skip the workout. That's not an option for me. I felt like the clock was ticking from the moment my eyes opened. I got the kids to school early and made it to the gym by 8. Tick...tick...tick I got on the treadmill and warmed up with a 3 min walk...reset the treadmill...cranked the speed up to 8.1...and started running my 3.1 miles. Today was one of those days where after about 7 minutes, all I could think about was how bad I wanted to stop running. I considered just doing intervals or slowing down and then I decided to practice what I preach and just hang tough. I have a quote by Lance Armstrong that I think about in times like this. It says: "Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.” I KNOW this is true. I knew that the pain I was feeling...ther pain that I would continue to feel for the next 15 minutes would pale in comparison to the mental anguish that I would feel for the rest of the day if I didn't try my best and work my hardest. So, I sucked it up and I kept going. I just talked myself through it 1/2 a mile at a time. It felt great to hit that stop button and see 22:54. I only beat my time by 4 seconds, but at least it was 4 seconds in the right direction. I walked at an incline of 15 degrees for 10 minutes at 4.3 to "cool off" afterwards. Tick...tick...tick I was already behind schedule...I just have do ABS later. I rushed home and jumped in the shower. I was still 10 minutes late for my appt. Not a surprise...I'm ALWAYS late! I just got back from the doctor. She said you can only safely get 3 steroid shots a year in a location, before the tissue is in danger of atrophy. She said since I have had about a 50% improvement that I could get another shot now or I can wait until it really starts bothering me again. I told her that I just wanna wear high heels again, so we decided to do another shot today. It was more painful today and a couple of my toes are numb right now. She said it just depends on how close she gets to the nerve. I'm crossing my fingers and I'm going to keep positive thoughts...I'll be back up on high heels soon!

WEEK 3 / DAY 4

RUN 5K (22:54)
WALK 10 MIN @ INCLINE

ABS....LATER

POSTSCRIPT - 10:45 PM....Ugh! I never got to ABS. I spent the afternoon taking my daughter to the doctor and getting her wrist x-rayed after a fall off the monkey bars two days ago. It IS indeed fractured and I ended up running all day long between two doctors visits, labs, hair appts., swim team practice, etc. etc. etc. I've been told...more than once...that I have "weak ABS", but I'd rather have weak ABS than be a bad Mom. I needed to do ABS, but I needed to be a Mom even more....and...there's always tomorrow!

No comments: