Thursday, October 18, 2007

Day 35...SON OF A BISCUIT! That was tough!....


Son of a biscuit! That workout was a killer! I've become accustomed to doing my workouts as quickly as I can, but I don't freak out because I finish most of them pretty quickly and I'm content to spend hours in the gym. I have a love/hate relationship with timed tests. They can push you to perform in ways you didn't think possible, but it comes at a price. The price for me is stress and pain and anxiety. I left that behind when I left AE aka "The Compound". At "The Compound", I always had someone to beat. K was the one...as long as I beat him, I was OK...satisfied with my effort. I'm not sure I'll ever get over him beating me in the 5K that day...it still erks me everytime I think about it. K kept me on my toes and helped me improve whether he knew it or not. I only hope I did the same for him. Now...it's different. Now I am competing only with myself.

On the website for "The Compound", they spew advertisements like... "Our training protocols are intentionally designed to challenge the individual to push beyond their boundaries in order to "grow" and exceed our current limitations, mentally and physically. SUCCESS is the un-avoidable result. Those who train with us understand that failure is not an option. This understanding and agreement provide us with a training atmosphere that has NO RIVAL in the area." and things like..."THE COMPOUND is more than just the training facility where Athletic Engineering conducts our business. It's an attitude. When you enter our facility, there is no question about what you've come here to find. When you leave, there's no question you got it." It sounds like a bunch of tough talk, but it's so true...atmosphere is everything on days like today. The pain of the "flying burpees" around ROUND 3 was intense. I wanted to cuss and grunt and yell with every painful jump...but I couldn't...not at Century where seniors meet for "Silver Sneakers" workouts and "cardio-rexic" Mommies congregate to do hour long cardio classes and then practically kill each other afterwards racing for the ellipticals and treadmills where they read PEOPLE magazines and giggle and talk. It would be inappropriate for me to do those things...that I want to do...that help me make through.

I did most of my workout in the back room so as to avoid the stares and disapproving looks of those barely breaking a sweat. I only had to leave the room to do pullups. As I literally ran out ever so often to do pullups, I would catch at least one person's eyes following me back into the room and watching me through the glass...wondering what I was doing...and why I was so frantically doing it. No one there understands. No one there has any idea how hard that was...how bad my hands hurt from flying down on the ground as fast and hard as I could to do what felt like endless burpees. All they saw was a weird girl with a red face...wringing wet with sweat.

I had a sense of dread this morning as I entered the gym. Not for the reasons you would think. I wasn't afraid of the pain or difficulty...that's what a sane, "normal" person would worry about. I worried and wondered how hard this workout would really work me...I mean COME ON...20 minutes! As usual, W knew what he was doing. I haven't been that worn out after a workout in a while. I wanted to lay on the ground and recover, but once again...not really appropriate in that environment. I went to the recumbent bike and started riding feverishly...wishing I had more time...but knowing I had to hurry and finish in order to make my podiatrist appt. on time. I think I chose the bike, because I wasn't sure I had the strength left for anything else. YES! I love knowing I did all I could do and wondering if I could do any more. "The Compound" may be hot and stinky and sometimes dirty...the bathroom smells like a bunch of boys and the toilet bowl looks like it's never been cleaned. It was a "hell hole" for me some days, but that "hell hole" brought things out in me that were surprising and unexpected. Yeah...it's a lot of tough talk and advertising...the things on their website...but for those willing to submit...that place definitely delivers! Today was hard and shorter than I usually like, but it was good to be tested again...to know I can do it...without anyone timing me or encouraging me. That workout was a son of a ....biscuit!....and I loved it!

WEEK 5 / DAY 4
(5MIN WARMUP)
10 X BURPEES
20 X FLYING BURPEES (JUMPING FORWARD)
5 X PULLUPS
10 X PUSHUPS
15 X SQUATS (DOWN TO LOWEST "BOX")
MAX ROUNDS IN 20 MINUTES
I completed 6 rounds but went over by 30 seconds in order to finish. I wanted 8. I don't know why I had 8 as a goal, but I did.
FOLLOWED BY:
20 X FLYING BURPEES (JUMPING FORWARD)
10 X BURPEES
(4 MIN TO COMPLETE)

CARDIO
20 MIN ON RECUMBENT BIKE
(NO TIME TO STRETCH)
TOTAL TIME = 50 MIN

No comments: