Sunday, January 11, 2009

Day 480...tiMe fOr a fEw cHaNgEs...

Sunday is ALWAYS my designated "REST DAY". It's the day that I tend to reflect on my successes and failures in the gym...and the day that I also think about my goals from time to time.

I have been working out for a long time and the fact is...the better shape that a person is in...the harder it can be to continue to improve and stay motivated. I'm not 200 lbs anymore...I haven't been for 5 years...so going to the gym is much different now than when I was struggling to lose weight. I try to think about what it is that I really want out of my time in the gym.

A couple of years ago when I was working with W...I felt like a monster...I could go and go and go...endurance was my thing...pushing through pain and fatigue. The thing is...I wasn't as strong as I am now. The past year, I've worked hard to become stronger...to lift heavier weight. That has been what keeps me going and trying even when I fail. I have been thinking lately about what my goals are going to be now...this year. I have some goals concerning strength...numbers in mind for my back squat and deadlift...but I have finally decided what it is that I'm ready to work on now.I think I'm ready to start improving my diet. I'm just not totally happy with my body. Maybe I never will be...I am a terrible perfectionist. My sis, S, told me yesterday when I was worried about the way I look in these photos that I need "to go get my head examined". I know I'm not fat...I just want all my hard work in the gym to be apparent. I look pretty good, but I know I can look better...it's not about working harder in the gym...it's about being more careful with the food I put in my body. I have been really reluctant to do so, because I LOVE food...especially carbs....bread...and sugar...the bad stuff. I like to eat what I want in moderation so that I never feel like I'm missing out or like I'm on a diet. I don't think I'll ever be able to live on a strict plan, but I know I can make some improvements. My friend, K recommended that I read the book called "The ABS Diet" and she and her hubby look great so I've decided to pick up a copy on Monday and see what I can do to improve the way I look. I feel a bit shallow because I don't want to really lose weight and my body fat is already low for a woman (13%)...really it's all about aesthetics. I want to have HOT ABS! I want to trade my "2 pack" in for a "6 pack" eventually.

I want to go from something like this:
(what I currently look like)





















to something like this: (what I hope to look MORE like ONE DAY)










We'll see how it goes...this could be a LOOONG, hard process...and I bet this model hasn't had 3 kids...but I can still try! I'm not fooling myself. I don't expect to look JUST LIKE the second picture, but I want to get a lot closer than I am now.

SUNDAY=REST DAY

*I want to go back and clarify something so my friends and loved ones don't KILL me. I AM thankful for what I look like...even now. I recognize how far I've come from the person I was 6+ years ago...and I know that even if my ABS never look any better than they do today...I should feel good about my progress up to now. I just figure if I aim HIGH, then even if I fall short...I'll still be better than I was before.

No comments: