Saturday, January 26, 2008

Day 134...jUsT whAt i nEEdEd...


Today was exactly what I needed. My emotions have been all over the place this week. I've been happy some, but mostly sad and disappointed. Days have run together...hours have passed in the blink of an eye, while minutes have seemed to drag. This week has felt endless...until today.

I always wake up and look forward to working out. That was not the case today...today I was dreading the gym. Lucky for me, I was supposed to meet my trainer, J, so I went. I got there a bit late (as usual), warmed up, and got started. J had 2 circuits for me to do. It was a killer, but I really enjoyed it. I worked hard. I laughed. I sweat like crazy. I got dirty. But most importantly, I found what I lost this week. I was so down and unmotivated that I lost the peace and the determination and the sense of accomplishment that I get when I give it my all at the gym...when I push myself...when I enjoy what I am doing...even if it's hard or it hurts. Like Mark Twight says, "It doesn't have to be fun, to be fun!" and I believe that.

J stayed extra long to get me through the entire workout. I really appreciated that. I always thought this about my old trainer and friend, W and today I thought the same about J...those guys don't realize what a difference they make...not just in people's fitness level, but what they do for people's lives...for their self confidence...and their attitude. I wish I could do for people what those guys do and have done for me. They've taught me...encouraged me...made me smile...helped me focus when I'm silly...and distracted me when I'm sad. They make me WANT to be better. They become a friend. I guess that's why it's hard when they move on and I'm left behind. It's like a drug...and I'm always left wanting one more high.

When I was a girl in Girl Scouts and we went on campouts, we were always told to leave our campsite, better than we found it. Today I definitely left better than I was when I got to the gym. I owe most of that to my trainer. He did a great job today. When I left the gym, I looked like crap. I was hungry and tired. My hair was a mess. My clothes were dirty, and I walked a little slower...but I was better...happier...stronger...more alive.

WARMUP
-----------
5 MIN ELLIPTICAL

WORKOUT
-------------
1ST CIRCUIT
25 THRUSTERS (55 LBS)
20 BOX JUMPS
20 CLOSE GRIP TRICEP PRESS ( 45 LBS?)
50 FROGGIES
REPEAT FOR A TOTAL OF 3 ROUNDS

2ND CIRCUIT
OUTDOOR TIRE FLIP (BACK AND FORTH BEHIND BUILDING)
25 HORIZONTAL ROWS
25 DEAD LIFTS ( 75 LBS )
25 OVER HEAD PRESS WITH 35 LB PLATE
1 MIN RINGS - PLANK
REPEAT FOR A TOTAL OF 3 ROUNDS

CARDIO
----------
J wins the prize today. It doesn't happen often..only a handful of times with W...but after 2 hours of pleasure and pain...I couldn't do any cardio. I was too beat...which is a good thing...to sickos like me...

No comments: