Thursday, January 10, 2008

Day 118...the dreaded doctor visit...


I always hate to go to the doctor when I have a workout related problem. I am so afraid of being told that I can't workout, that I avoid getting help. I know it's dumb, but it's how I am. Today, I'm going to the doctor. I NEED to know what's wrong, because I have never experienced this before. I will push through the pain, but I want to make sure that I am not doing further damage in the process.

I had a great workout with J. He bought some rings for us to use. He made me do push ups and planks while holding onto them. I struggled and I was shaking. It was hard, but good. We did other stuff...close grip shoulder presses lying down (I think that's what it was) and then burpees with a star jump at the end. I think we did 3 rounds...maybe 4. Burpees are so hard. They wear me out, but they are fun. I think I did okay. I tried to do them as well as I could with good high jumps at the end. I tried really hard to keep going and not whine. After that, there was more tricep exercises (tricep pulldowns)...J is gonna improve and strengthen my triceps if it's the last thing he does!...followed by seated rows..but not seated, hovering in a squat position over the bench...followed by shoulder raises(?) with 2 10 # DBs. Again it was 3 or 4 rounds. I tried leg lifts but it hurt my hip too bad. I can never remember it all, but that's an idea of what we did...I probably screwed up the names of exercises, but I am just reporting as best I can.

I signed up for more sessions with J which is good. He left to go check out a gymnastics place that we may try to workout at once a week...different..scary maybe..but it sounds very interesting and possibly very fun. We'll see...I am accident prone so I hope I don't break anything or disappoint him too badly. I finished by doing 30 minutes on the elliptical and 15 minutes of running on the treadmill @ 7.8. Probably a poor choice considering my hip probs, but I wanted one last run before a doctor tells me to lay off the running...I'm sure that's what she'll say. I was hot and tired when I left. Today was good. I hope I still feel that way after my doctor's visit...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
POSTSCRIPT (10 P.M.)...I went to the doctor and got antibiotics for my sinuses and an xray for my hip. I got a call back and they said that they were looking for any type of fracture or any signs of early arthritis (that didn't make me feel old at all!). The xray came back normal so she said I probably just strained something and I've probably been aggravating it by running. Consequently, I was told to lay off the running for at least a week...I KNEW she would say that, dang it! She said the bike or the elliptical were fine. If I'm not feeling better in 2 wks, I have to go for a MRI. I hope it gets better...soon.

No comments: