Thursday, October 9, 2008

Day 390..."yOu cAn dO iT pUt yoUr bAcK iNto iT!"...

"The deadlift is unrivaled in its simplicity and impact while unique in its capacity for increasing head to toe strength. Regardless of whether your fitness goals are to “rev up” your metabolism, increase strength or lean body mass, decrease body fat, rehabilitate your back, improve athletic performance, or maintain functional independence as a senior, the deadlift is a marked shortcut to that end. To the detriment of millions, the deadlift is infrequently used and seldom seen either by most of the exercising public and/or, believe it or not, by athletes..." ~Greg Glassman

Today I worked out ....oh excuse me...I TRAINED with my friend A. We had a blast! I've been feeling a bit weak...and did when I got there...but he helped me feel...BE strong. We did Deadlifts...one of my FAVORITE things to do in the gym. I NEVER get tired of Deadlifts...ever. We warmed up to "You Can Do It" and set up our bars. It was funny because my weight looked so little and petite compared to A's. He even said at one point, "Oh look at your little weight...it's so cute!" Ha! Ha! We were so wishin that one of us had a camera...but of course neither of us did. It would've been a funny picture.

I felt like we energized each other today. We brought out the best in each other. He got up to 400 lbs...as much as the bar had room for with the bumpers we have at the gym. In fact there was BARELY room for the clips. The last time I deadlifted...I think my 1 REP MAX was 205. I got up to 195 and thought I was nearing the end. I was gonna add 10 lbs...A said to add 30 lbs. He said that he was "CERTAIN" that I could lift it if I really tried...and was really focused. I was nervous, but I KNEW I could do it too...and so I did! I deadlifted 225 lbs!!! It felt amazing to stand up with that weight! I was smiling and then I did this crazy ridiculously girly jumping and clapping.

I think I did it because I did not say, "I will TRY."...I just DID IT. Trying gives you a way out. Trying says "I'll be okay if I don't make it." It's non committal and wishy washy. I also think A's confidence IN ME...increased my OWN confidence. I'm really glad that we did this together today. I really NEEDED today. I NEEDED to feel strong...and now...I DO!

DYNAMIC WARMUP

WORKOUT
-------------
DEADLIFTS
65 LBS X 15
85 LBS X 5
95 LBS X 5
115 LBS X 5
135 LBS X 5
155 LBS X 5
175 LBS X 1
195 LBS X 1
225 LBS X 1

PULLUPS
NARROW GRIP X 10
NARROW GRIP CHIN UP X 10
WIDE GRIP X 10
WIDE GRIP CHIN UP X 10

CARDIO
----------
3 MILE RUN

No comments: