Friday, April 25, 2008

Day 223...RiPPeD...


I have always talked about how if I would eat better...healthier...I could look "ripped". Today I'm ripped...but it doesn't show in my muscles...not on my shoulders...or my back...or my biceps...it is my hand that is ripped....and it hurts...bad. This picture was taken about an hour AFTER we cleaned it up and bandaged it. My hand was hurting when I worked on kipping. I knew I should stop, but I was so excited to be able to get one (a kipping pullup) that I didn't want to stop. Even now, I'm thinking about how bad it sucks that I can't work on it some more tomorrow. Luckily, my hand did not rip open until the very last pullup of the workout. I thought I felt something but I was so exhausted that I just wanted to lay down on the floor. Once I noticed the blood, J helped me wash my hand off and it hurt like crazy! I wanted to cry, but I sucked it up and just took it.

The funniest part was that as soon as I got my hand bandaged...J asked me to sign a waiver basically saying I won't sue him if I get hurt bad or die. All I could think when he put the paper in front of me was...#1. Is this the most appropriate time to do this? and #2. Geez, my hand hurts so bad, I can barely sign. and #3 How ironic? I'm bleeding because I want to do my best for HIM and he's worried about me suing him! Actually, I KNOW he didn't mean it that way...at least he better not!

I used to be a real wimp when it came to pain. Now I would say I'm pretty tough...but I wasn't feeling so tough this afternoon in the shower. In fact, I cried like a baby the whole time. I wrapped it up really good before I got in. I knew it would get wet, but I hoped it would spare me the burning from the shampoo or water. It helped but it was still incredibly...miserably...painful.

Today I did the Crossfit workout "Helen". When J told me that I was going to use the 1.5 pood (53lbs) Kettlebell, I honestly didn't think that I could do it. It was really hard. The first few swings, I felt in control...and then at times, I felt like IT was controlling ME. It was like trying to walk a St. Bernard and having it drag you down the street. It's funny because, when I came home...I looked at the CF site to watch a video of "Helen" and see how the "girls" did it. Ironically...all the 4 women that made the video (Annie and Nicole included) used 1 pood Kettlebells (approx 35 lbs). They finished in half the time it took me, but while I still probably wouldn't be as fast as them...I would've been much faster with a lighter KB...almost 20 lbs lighter. Still, there was a great sense of accomplishment knowing that I did it with the BIG KB!

It was hard to drag myself to the "old" gym for cardio after all that energy I expended and with a throbbing hand, but I did. I went and did 50 minutes of cardio and stretched. I've been good for nothing since, but I can go to sleep tonight knowing that today I didn't stop when it hurt and that I gave it all I had.


WARMUP
------------
500 M ROW
STRETCH

PRACTICE KIPPING (I DID A FEW...NOT CONSECUTIVE...BUT I DID IT!)

WORKOUT
------------
"HELEN"
400 M RUN
21 KETTLEBELL SWINGS (1 POOD KB = 53LBS)
12 PULLUPS (BAND)

3 ROUNDS FOR TIME (17:?? NOT SURE)

Here's a video of the California Crossfit girls doing "Helen"...

CARDIO
---------
30 MIN RECUMBENT BIKE
20 MIN WALK TREADMILL
STRETCH

No comments: