Saturday, April 19, 2008

Day 217...pLayiNg iN tHe diRt...

Today was THE BEST! J took me to what he calls "THE HILLS" and we worked out together. It was still a little muddy in a few places from the storms on Thursday night, but it wasn't bad. It sounds like a simple...fun...maybe even quick and easy...workout. It WAS simple...and I DID have fun...but there was nothing easy or quick about it!

It is a BEAUTIFUL...sunny...spring day. We started with KB swings and then started up the hill. It's deceivingly steep (the picture does NOT do it justice). I was gasping for air so ridiculously when I got to the top, that I was glad that I had to go slowly and carefully down the other side...to avoid landing on my butt. When we reached the bottom, the medicine balls were waiting for us. Those Crossfit style medicine ball cleans are mean...if you do them correctly. I would notice from time to time that the cleans weren't hurting so bad...that's how I knew when I wasn't going deep enough on the squat. I would hear that little angel on my shoulder...or devil depending on how you look at it...telling me..."open your hips"..."shrug your shoulders"..."don't spin the ball"..."go deeper"..."watch your back". I have heard W's voice in my head many times while working out since he's been gone. Today it was all J. I would self correct...and it would HURT...bad...THEN...I knew I was doing it RIGHT!

For me, the worst part was going back up the hill after those cleans. It was all about the pain of trying to get enough "air" and breathe. My legs were fine. The last 2 rounds were grueling...and in the end...what I thought would take us about 30 minutes...took us a little more than 40 minutes to complete. We were sweating like crazy and our shoes were muddy when we were done.

J came up with a great "Saturday" workout. It was hard...but it was GREAT! I love working out side by side...it pushes me to keep up. I loved being outside...and NOT staring at treadmills and painted walls. I loved being tired and exhilarated at the same time when we were done. This was a perfect example of what makes me love and look forward to Saturdays. These are the times when I feel the most alive!

WORKOUT
-------------
"THE HILLS"

20 KETTLEBELL SWINGS (35 lb KB)
THEN...
RUN UP STEEP HILL AND BACK DOWN "GENTLE" SLOPE TO THE OTHER SIDE
THEN...
20 MEDICINE BALL CLEANS (J=20LBs / M=15LBs)
THEN...
BACK UP THE "GENTLE" SLOPE AND DOWN THE STEEP HILL TO THE ANXIOUSLY AWAITING KB

REPEAT FOR 5 ROUNDS

*CARDIO INCLUDED IN WORKOUT TODAY-NO EXTRA-AT LEAST NOT YET ;)

No comments: