Friday, April 18, 2008

Day 216...rEaLitY cHecK...

I haven't worked out for the majority of my life. I NEVER played sports. I am NOT athletic...naturally. I really WAS "picked last in gym" as a kid. About 4 years ago, I started working out...not to get strong...not to push myself or see what I could do...but SOLELY to lose weight. I'm ashamed to say that in the beginning, I was more than okay with mediocrity...and SO...that's what I was..mediocre...average. When I wasn't really getting the results I wanted (weight loss), I decided to go from 3-4 medium paced workouts a day...to 5-6 high intensity workouts (or what I THOUGHT was high intensity at the time). I then began to lose weight...and I began to somewhat enjoy working out...but only because it made me look better. I met my good friend and my ex-trainer, W, almost 2 years ago. I didn't think I needed him...I was very committed...already thin...and I didn't think I had a thing to learn from him. I reluctantly agreed to a free session with him and my life changed forever.

He hurt me SO bad the first session that I could barely walk the next day. He brought emotions out in me that I had NEVER felt while working out...pure joy...fear...excitement...panic...even anger at times. From that day on...I was hooked. It was like a drug...and he was my dealer. The first "hit" was free, because he knew I would be back for more...no matter what it cost. Now when I workout...it is not so much about weight loss or appearance...as Mark Twight says..."these are consequences...". I workout to sculpt and change my mind and my soul...then my body follows. I workout to see what I can do...to gage how far I'm willing to go...to continue to push past my "self imposed" limitations...to learn something. Sometimes I learn a new exercise...sometimes I learn patience...sometimes I learn to conquer a fear...sometimes I learn things about myself...both good and bad.

After doing this for quite a while and after being coached by two great trainers/friends...I have become fairly proficient...strong. Sometimes I can get lazy...cocky...and I think that I have "learned" it all. When this happens, I hamper my ability to progress until finally I am humbled. I've had some pretty rough days over the past week or so. At times, I have been pretty low. Today, J and I were not able to do the workout that he had planned, but it was okay...because I learned some things...from him...and from myself through my effort.

I learned to do an exercise that is difficult to do...overhead squats. As I struggled to stabilize myself with a 45 LB bar over my head, I was reminded that concentration and desire are just as important...if not MORE important than physical strength. I learned that I DON'T know it all and that I still NEED a trainer. I worked on pull ups..AGAIN...for what felt like the "millionth" time! Near the end of the workout, when I didn't think I could even pull myself up an inch...I squeezed my back together and I felt a little lift. I still can't do a pullup...but I was reminded that if I will LISTEN to the advice that my trainers give me and KEEP practicing... ONE DAY...I WILL get it. I HAVE to believe that and I have to try 1 million and 1 times...or I won't ever do it.

Today was an okay day physically...but it was a great day psychologically. It was a reality check...not a "I suck and I'm weak and I'll never get it" reality check...a "I can do this, but I STILL have ALOT to learn" reality check. I'm nervous about tomorrow's workout, but that's okay. The fear means that I am still being challenged. The fear means that I'm not complacent...I care about how well I do. The fear means I have an opportunity for growth...if I accept it...embrace it...and I am willing to feel a little pain and NOT quit.

WARMUP
--------------
5 MIN ELLIPTICAL
STRETCH

WORKOUT
----------------
PRACTICE OVERHEAD SQUATS WITH 45 LB BAR

THEN:
20 PUSHUPS
20 OVERHEAD SQUATS (STARTED WITH 45 LBS & SWITCHED TO 20/25? LB WEIGHTED STICK)
20 ASSISTED PULLUPS (SMALL BAND)
100 YARD FARMER'S WALK (A 35LB KETTLEBELL IN EACH HAND)
3 ROUNDS

CARDIO
----------
IT JUST WASN'T "IN THE CARDS" TODAY. I FELT SO FATIGUED AND WITH MY KIDS OUT OF SCHOOL, MY PLANS WERE INTERRUPTED. I LOVE CARDIO AND THINK CARDIO IS SO IMPORTANT...I USUALLY NEVER MISS A DAY...BUT TODAY I DID AND I'M OKAY. I ACTUALLY NEEDED THE REST.

No comments: