Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Day 213...oLd dOg...nEw tRiCks...

They say, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks!" I don't believe that. Now, I will be honest...and say...I don't really like change. I'm not a fan of doing things that I'm not good at. I will also say that I can obviously be thick at times. I struggle to learn new things...especially compound, complicated "moves" at the gym. I'm not naturally athletic, and I'm awkward. I listen and I WANT to "get it" quickly ...perfectly...easily...but I don't.

I want to please my trainers. I want them to be happy with my performance. I want them to be proud of me...but I especially want them to WANT to train ME. I feel like this will ONLY happen if I do well...if I cooperate...if I give everything I have...if I am always evolving, learning, becoming better. Many times with W, I learned new things. Sometimes I knew he was really frustrated with me. J doesn't seem to get as frustrated...as quickly...but I know it's hard to tell someone something...over...and over...and over...only to have them freeze up...to act confused...and then...do it wrong! That's ME!

J has been teaching me some Olympic lifts...as well as some other new exercises. I'm not doing so well. He tried to teach me to do "Double Unders" with the jump rope. I just kept missing and the plastic "rope" would "slap" my legs. It hurt...and it was an agitating hurt...one that builds with each swipe. I know it was disrespectful, but I finally had to say, "I'm done!" He didn't like it, but I was getting defeated and I wasn't going to be successful with that attitude. It brought up a wide range of emotions... frustration... excitement... sadness... hope... embarrassment... anger. The part that is so bad, is that I'm afraid that when this happens...that I project these emotions outward. I'm afraid that J thinks I am being flippant or angry with him...but it is all about ME! When I fail, it brings out serious insecurity and then I get "mental paralysis". I over think it and freeze up.

I did a lot of thinking when I got home. I decided that even though this is really hard for me...even though it will take me ALOT of time to "get" these new moves...I want to keep trying. I want to replace all those negative emotions with triumph! I just hope that J doesn't take my failure personally. I hope he doesn't give up on me, because THIS "old dog" wants to learn some new tricks!

WARMUP
-------------
10 MIN ELLIPTICAL

WORKOUT
------------------
50, 40, 30, 20, 10
TUCK JUMPS (SUPPOSED TO BE DOUBLE UNDERS-sorry, J!)
SIT UPS (ABMAT...KNEES BENT...SOLES OF FEET TOGETHER...HANDS OVERLAPPING & "REACHING")

PRACTICED PUSH PRESS & PUSH JERK

CARDIO
----------
20 MIN INTERVALS ON TREADMILL (WALK/RUN)

No comments: