Friday, April 4, 2008

Day 202...mY sEcuRiTy bLaNkEt...

So, I said that I was going to come up with my OWN workouts for the next couple of days while J is gone. I said that I was excited to "see what I could do without my boys"...and THEN...I found myself walking into the gym with the book that W made me. It has been very loved and it's obvious when you look closely at it. I realized today that my relationship with my book is a bit like Linus and his blanket. It is MY "security blanket". I love it, because my friend spent many hours making it for me...it reminds me of him...but it also makes me feel safe in some strange way.

I chose one of my favorites. IF it was a Crossfit WOD...I would want it to be called "Marsha". I set up my little circuit area...and warmed up. There was a class going on in the room where I normally "set up", so I had to set up in the corner of the "free weights" room. I knew I would get stares. First, I was the ONLY girl in there...second, those boys have a one track mind. They lift heavy, grunt, and admire themselves in the mirrors. So I'm slamming the ball which always makes me look like a violent psycho beeyotch and I'm swinging my KB and doing box jumps and burpees etc...at a frantic pace because I'm timing myself. I had a goal. Last time I spent 35 minutes on this one. I didn't care if it took me 34 min and 58 sec...I just wanted to beat my previous time. I did. Yea me! So back to the boys...they were staring which I actually appreciate because it puts alot of pressure on me to perform.

One guy...I'll call him "water fountain guy" or WFG for short...because once he made some comment to me at the water fountain...he was paying attention to everything I was doing. I'm on my last round..all I have left is 20 burpees and a quarter mile run when he moves in. He asked if I would "help" him. I was dazed and hurting and glad to stop the clock for a minute...so I agreed. He wanted me to lay a 45LB plate on his lap while he did tricep dips and wait to take it off when he was done. Of course, he took the opportunity to chat. My mind was on one thing and one thing only...FINISHING! As soon as he was done I broke off the chit chat and went right into burpees. After burpees, I did my last run and came back to my little "area" to lay on the floor and recuperate. All of the sudden, I take my towel off my face and he's standing over me with a big white grin and bulging muscles. Then he said, "Well if you're just gonna lay there...do you mind helping me out just one more time?" (smile-wink). I did and I now know that he's driving to Wichita today...he was in Cancun for the past week and did nothing but drink for 5 days...he has a boat...etc. He pulled out all the stops. He even complimented the fact that I was "hittin it hard over there!"...I'll take that! I don't think he was really flirting...he's a late 20's beefy "cool" guy with big white teeth and tan muscles...what would he want with my tired old butt?...really! He probably just wanted to talk about himself and I was the only one left in the room. HA! Well, it was a nice break...I figured I'd be bored and lonely without J...I hate the silence of working out alone...WFG broke the silence..that's for sure.

My booty was on fire when I left today...maybe because I haven't done weighted squats in forever...dunno...and I certainly got my wish...my abs are pretty darn sore, especially my obliques oddly enough. I worked really hard. I'm so glad that W made that book for me. It really is one of the most thoughtful gifts I've been given...ever...it ranks out right below my music box that I got for my second wedding anniversary (my most favorite sentimental gift that sits on my desk). It's always nice to have that book as a backup...as my security blanket...when I'm unsure...or too lazy to think about what I will do.

WARMUP
----------
5 MIN ELLIPTICAL AND STRETCHING

WORKOUT
-------------
20 MEDICINE BALL SLAMS (12 LBs)
20 KB SWINGS (35 LBs)
20 BOX JUMPS (22 IN)
20 PUSH PRESS (RXed=2/20LB DBs...I USED THE 45LB BAR SO I COULD GO RIGHT INTO MY SQUATS)
20 BACK SQUATS (45LB BAR)
20 BURPEES (WITH A GOOD LOW PUSHUP AND A JUMP AT THE END)
RUN .25 MILES
3 ROUNDS-TIME=33:52

CARDIO
----------
20 MIN ON RECUMBENT BIKE (MEDIUM RESISTANCE...2 MIN REG SPEED/ 30 SEC AS FAST AS POSSIBLE...REPEAT)
10 MIN TREADMILL WALK (MY GLUTES WERE CRYING SO I HAD TO SWITCH)
STRETCH

No comments: