Friday, July 11, 2008

Day 300...iN a fiShbOwL...

Many times, I feel like I'm in a "fishbowl" when I'm at the gym. It's not that I'm impressive by any means...I know that...but I also know that I'm...different...unusual compared to MOST women. I don't do classes or read magazines. I like to lift weights and I like to always try to do more than I think I can do. Today was no different.

We went back to the gym here this morning. I had a plan that included dead lifts and front squats. I have to say...I LOVE dead lifts and any kind of squats. There were a few guys that were paying CLOSE attention while I did my dead lifts...but I noticed one in particular. He had a "what the...???" kinda look on his face...not in a bad way...in a surprised kinda way. The thing is that I guess you don't see a lot of women doing dead lifts and I never see many people do front squats. People do the squat machine or back squats, but front squats are different. My husband has never done a front squat so I was teaching him how to hold the bar correctly in the rack position and coaching him on his form. An older man was watching and listening to every word. I could see that he was going to say something...he did. He said, "That looks REALLY complicated." My husband agreed. That was weird to me...I'm so used to it that I never think about it being "complicated"...but it retrospect...I guess it is. There was a lady. She was probably my age...really good bod...you could definitely see muscles...she had long black hair. She glared at me without any reservations. When I would catch her eye and she would see me seeing her...she didn't look away. Yikes. Then the muscley trainer from the other day came in and gawked at me while I did my cardio. Does it ever end?!? The gym is such a strange world with it's own little rules and societies and culture.

I worked pretty hard. I probably should've gone a little heavier on the front squats and at least 10 to 15 lbs heavier on the bench press, but I was still tired when we got done with our workout and cardio. Today was a pretty good day, but it was definitely a day in a fishbowl kinda day. Now...we are headed to play miniature golf with the kids in the steamy South Carolina heat and then...as you could guess...back to the beach!
WARMUP
-----------
5 MIN RUN/WALK TREADMILL

WORKOUT
--------------
15 DEAD LIFT (115 LBS)
15 FRONT SQUATS (65 LBS)
15 LEG CURLS (60 LBS)
15 BACK EXTENSIONS (HOLDING 25 LB PLATE)
15 BENCH PRESS (25 LB DBs)
15 HAMMER CURLS (20 LB DBs)
15 "SKULL CRUSHERS" (40 LB BAR)
3 ROUNDS

CARDIO
----------
1000 M ROW
20 MINUTES ELLIPTICAL

STRETCH

No comments: