Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Day 234...tHe PaiN mOnSteR...

I've learned NOT to fear pain. I'm not a freak that's "in" to feeling pain...although another trainer at my old gym once said, "People look at you and think you're JUST a Mom. They don't know that you're a pain freak!". YIKES! My friend and "ex" trainer, W once told me that most of my success is due to the fact that I'm "not afraid to visit the pain monster". I believe that's true. I know that if I can try NOT to fight it and I use it to compel myself to get done, then the pain can actually work for me rather than against me.

Today, the "pain monster" definitely paid me a visit. J put me through a tough workout. I felt like it really stretched me. I came so close to puking...several times. I definitely need A LOT of practice on my Overhead Squats. I felt like that was where I was the weakest and the least stable. I struggled with the Thrusters, but I've never done them that heavy in a workout and I was really tired by then. I wanted to finish in 30 minutes or less, but I didn't make it. Next time I'll get it!

I realized something really important today...something that will help me with my insecurity and concerns about becoming a trainer. I got my feelings hurt and felt so inadequate when I was helping one of J's clients Saturday, because he said he wasn't really listening to me when I corrected him during the workout. Today I saw things from his perspective. At times, I felt desperate...I was hurting...tired...and he would tell me to watch my form or show me what to do or encourage me to keep going. I wouldn't respond...sometimes I couldn't...or I would feel like I was being snappy with him. It wasn't because I don't respect him or because I was mad. I was...in MY "zone"...just like that guy told me that he was on Saturday. No more whining on my part...besides...training is about what the trainer can help the client do and how they can help them transform themselves...physically and mentally...not about the trainer feeling important or liked all the time. I love it when I have breakthroughs!

WORKOUT
----------------
800M RUN
25 MEDICINE BALL CLEANS (16 LBS)
25 KTE
25 TUCK JUMPS
25 RING PUSH UPS (RINGS SUSPENDED WITH FEET ON 28 IN PLYO BOX)
25 OVERHEAD SQUATS (65lb ONLY A COUPLE...THEN 55 ABOUT 5...45 LB BAR FOR THE REST CUZ WE DIDN'T HAVE ALL NIGHT)
25 PULL UPS (HALF KIPPING / HALF ON BAND)
25 SDHP (65 LB)
800M RUN

TIME - 34:30

CARDIO (THIS MORNING)
---------------------------
45 MIN ELLIPTICAL

No comments: