Monday, May 5, 2008

Day 233...tRyiN tO gEt sTroNg...

When I choose a workout...it is usually long...and it's usually more endurance based than strength based. I'm not weak, but I don't consider myself particularly strong either. Lately, J has been making me work on my strength. I don't particularly like "strength days" because there is so much rest in between reps or sets that I feel like I'm not doing enough.

I knew that I was having a strength day today. I also knew that after the strength portion...I was going to be reunited with my old "friend"...the Airdyne. I wasn't particularly looking forward to today. I wasn't mad...or disappointed...I just wasn't excited. I knew that I would have to focus and rest to work on "maxing out". I also knew that I was going to experience some serious pain on that freakin bike!

I went in and it was quiet and calm. I felt better when I got there for some reason. Surprisingly, I enjoyed my strength day. I NEEDED the rest. I NEEDED to surprise myself...in a good way. I'm trying to get stronger and I have. I know that I will keep getting stronger if I work hard. The only unpleasant thing about today was that my chest was hurting from resting the bar on it so many times. I would start out up high...in a rack position...but when I brought the weight down...I would come down a little lower on my chest at the end...especially as the weight got heavier. My chest is one of the few bony parts of my body, so it's very uncomfortable when the bar is resting there. My Mom came over to meet me for lunch and I was telling her how bad my chest was hurting. I pulled down my shirt to show her where it hurt and she told me that I have a big bruise in the center of my chest. It's not pretty either. Oh well...calluses and bruises have become part of my life..."battle scars"! Other than that...the "strength" part of my workout was good.

The bike/rowing machine combo was really hard and tiring. My quads were on fire...and that doesn't happen often. It brought back some fond memories of days past...the heat...the pain..."The Compound". It was bad, but not as bad as I had worried it would be. I hung in there and I didn't stop. Today surprised me. Today was good.

WARMUP
-----------
STRETCHES
ARM CIRCLES
10 SHOULDER PRESS (PVC)
10 PUSH PRESS (PVC)
10 PUSH JERKS (PVC)

WORKOUT
--------------
STRENGTH:
SHOULDER PRESS 1-1-1-1-1 (MAXING OUT)
65x1
75x1
80x1
85x1 (1 fail/1 success)
95 (fail)

THEN:
PUSH PRESS 3-3-3-3-3
75x3
80x3
85x3
90x3
95x2 (1 fail)

THEN:
THRUSTER 5-5-5-5-5
65x5
75x5
75x5
80x5
85x5

CARDIO/ENDURANCE
---------------------------
1 MIN AIRDYNE
30 SEC REST
1 MIN ROW
5 ROUNDS

No comments: