Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Day 542..."jUmP aNd LaNd!"...

I hate teaching the Push Jerk...I always have.  Let me be perfectly clear.  This hatred has nothing to do with the movement itself or the people I teach it to.  It also has nothing to do with how well the people I teach are able to do it.  It has to do with the fact that I never feel like I can teach this movement in a way that is not confusing.  I watch people freeze up as they over think the movement.  Some people walk away after a frustrating session with J or me and STILL don't know how to do a Push Jerk "properly".  So you can only imagine how stressed I was over teaching this movement to a new couple at the gym.  J has been working with them and asked me to cover their last "foundations" class.  

I decided to try something different.  I decided that I would teach them the way we were taught this weekend at the Olympic Lifting certification.  Coach B talked about the importance of keeping teaching understandable and simple.  The lightbulb came on for me.  Instead of teaching these people the way I was taught and the way I have been taught to teach...instead of using terms like "dip and drive"...that I would use the words I heard over and over and over again this past weekend..."jump and land".  Within 10 minutes, these two people were doing Push Jerks!  I was so happy.  It is amazing how we can take seemingly complicated movements and simplify them just by using words that are understandable.  I think this was a real turning point for me as a trainer.

As for my own workout today...I did the same workout that everyone at the gym did last night.  It was beautiful and sunny, so it was a perfect day for an outdoor workout.  I was alone, but I still set a timer and tried to go as fast and hard as possible.  It was funny because halfway through the workout, the FedEx guy that makes regular deliveries to the backroom behind us pulled in.  He made his delivery back there and then did what he always does...backed out slowly as he smiles and stares...only today there was a little more.  He parked his truck and walked to the opening on the passenger side..the one closest to me...and stood in the opening with his hands on either side...smiling...really big.  "Hey!  Can I workout with you some time?!?!" he yelled.  I was sweating...tired...and in the middle of 50 Push Presses.  I turned...faked a smile...and said, "Sure."...and went right back to pressing the bar.  It was interesting to say the least, but humorous too.

In the end, my time was faster than anyone else.  I was half dead...lying on the floor in a pool of my own sweat...but I was happy.

WORKOUT
--------------
Row 500 M

Tire flip down parking lot then farmer walk back holding 2- 35lb plates.

50 Push Press 45lb barbell

50 Ball Slams (16 lb D-ball)

50 Broad Jumps

50 Push Ups

Repeat with same Row, Tire Flips, Farmer's walk, and 25 reps for second round.

FOR TIME (28:25)

No comments: