Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Day 262...hArDeR tHaN i tHoUgHt...

Today's workout was harder than I thought it would be. Looking back..I have no idea why I thought that it would be so easy...but I did. I ran early this morning because I knew I was training with J late today and I wanted to have cardio out of the way. I never do heavy Sumo Deadlift High Pulls...65 lbs is usually really heavy for me...so as soon as I layed my hands on that bar that weighed 75 lbs...I was nervous...with good reason. 75 lbs is hard for me. It was slow and taxing...it wasn't pretty...and I ended up with scraped shins...but I did it. The hardest part of all was the ring pull ups. Those just demolish me. There were at least 3 or 4 reps at different times/rounds where I had to fight with EVERY fiber of my body to lock my elbows out...and the 3 seconds or so that I fought felt more like minutes. I was so glad when I was done. I wish I could've been more impressive. There was a guy in the gym that comes by once a week to use the gym and I'm sure he thought I was a weak wuss. In fact...after he got done doing some Olympic lifting...he did the same workout that me and J did and beat us BOTH!!! Way to go C!

I felt a little inadequate. I wondered how I can struggle like I did and then be qualified to train other people. I realize now...that although I DO feel inadequate...training is NOT about perfection. It's about improvement. It's about doing more tomorrow than you could do last week. It's about loving the program...and loving the difference that you can make in another person's life. It's about caring...and I care.

I'll never be the strongest...or most agile...or fastset...or best...but I LOVE working out. I love being stronger in my late 30s than I was in my 20s. I love the intensity and the challenge of Crossfit. No matter who you are...no matter how advanced or strong...you can always learn and be challenged and improve. I may not be impressive. I may be the least qualified person working there on paper...but I will do whatever I can to help other people change their bodies and minds. If I can do that for one person...I'll consider myself a success.

And...you know what? In the end...I did pretty good today. I finished a tough workout and I can go to sleep tonight feeling like I accomplished something. J keeps telling me..."Confidence!". I need to remember that.

WARMUP
-----------
2 MIN JUMP ROPE
10 PUSH UPS
10 DIPS
15 SQUATS WITH PVC AGAINT POLE
10 ARM CIRCLES (EA DIRECTION...BIG AND SMALL)
SAMSON STRETCH

WORKOUT
----------------
21, 15, 9
SUMO DEAD LIFT HIGH PULLS (75 LBS)
24 IN BOX JUMPS
RING PUSH UPS (FEET ON SMALL BOX)
MY TIME = 15:45

( J AND C KILLED ME. J TIME = 13:20 C TIME = 11:04 )

CARDIO
-----------
6 A.M. - 5 K "BRITTON" CIRCLE RUN

No comments: