Monday, February 2, 2009

Day 499...sCrEaMiNg aT "tHe bOOgEymAn"...

I really hate working out alone.  It's so difficult to do hellaciously hard workouts without someone to compete against...someone to "share the pain" with.  I need a break from "Starting Strength".  It's an amazing program and it is working...I am getting stronger every time I do it.  I started to slide back at the end of last week and decided to take a week off.  I'm gonna do Crossfit/Metcon workouts this week and start back on Monday.  

In true "MC fashion" I chose an absolutely HELLACIOUS workout off the Navy SEALS site this morning...and not only did I choose it...I wanted to do it...was excited about it even.  When I hit the stopwatch, I felt the first twinge of doubt..."What am I thinking???  This is 125 Deadlifts...250 Pushups...125 Kettlebell Swings...and 250 Situps!!!"   I started to doubt after the first 25 Deadlifts and 50 Pushups..."Maybe I should just do 3 rounds instead of 5..."  I immediately dismissed the thought and exchanged it for this one..."No...I don't wanna be average..."regular"...I wanna push myself past what I logically think I can do.  I wanna be great...and so I'll take the pain and do 5 rounds."

I was in the middle of round 3...I was on KB Swing #60 with a 44 lb Kettlebell.  I was feeling extremely nauseous...in fact...I had just gotten done kneeling down by the garbage can because I thought I might throw up (I didn't).  I was afraid I might drop the KB on my head feeling the way I did, so I had just switched from overhead swings to eye-level swings.  The music was loud...angry...I was in a zone...trying to manage the mental and physical pain...when I caught something out of the corner of my eye and simultaneously heard a man's voice that was not immediately recognizable.  "ALL THE WAY OVERHEAD!!!"  I turned and saw a large man and screamed...very loud...horror movie loud.  I also threw the KB, but not before hitting myself in the leg with it.  Genious MC!Right then, I figured out that I did know that large figure.  It was E...one of our new guys at the gym.  He's a big, strong Marine recruiter and a super nice guy.  "You scared the hell outta me!!!"  He was profusely apologizing and I was saying "It's okay...really...I scare easily."  He offered to leave and come back later...I said "No...no...you are fine." and I stopped the stopwatch and in true Crossfit fashion tried to approximate in my mind how many seconds/minutes I had just spent screaming and talking so I could subtract it from my time at the end.  He made a payment and we chatted for a minute.  Of course any scare he may have given me...any pain from the KB...was all forgiven when he said, "Wow!  You've got some big traps there!"  So, to anyone that that loves me...I'm admitting it...compliments WILL get you far!  

He left...but not before reminding me that I needed to be swinging that KB "all the way overhead" (love it)...and I turned the timer back on and finished up.  It was really hard...especially alone...but I did it.  It took me almost an hour to complete today's workout, but I'm glad I did it.  I'm also glad that it was E and not "the Boogeyman" sneaking up on me today!

WARMUP
-------------
200 JUMPROPE SINGLES
DYNAMIC STRETCHING
LUNGE ACROSS GYM/BEAR CRAWL BACK

WORKOUT
---------------
25 DEAD LIFTS (95 LBS)
50 PUSHUPS
25 KETTLEBELL SWINGS (44 LBS)
50 SITUPS
5 ROUNDS FOR TIME (55:18)

lunch and 1 hour rest, then...

CARDIO
-----------
30 MIN RECUMBENT BIKE

*My Sis asked what "Traps" are...Here's a pic of the Trapezius muscle

2 comments:

s said...

heehee! you are so precious and i will blame that trait on mother. you know screaming when something easily scares you. good job for not doin the slam bang theater afterwards. and btw what are traps? love u sis, s

MC said...

Yes...I AM becoming Mother! Hopefully a better version though...I didn't get MAD at him for scaring me...I LAUGHED...because after all it WAS funny! And traps are the muscles that sit up on top your shoulders and run down the top/middle of your back.