Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Day 5...looks can be deceiving


This morning I cracked open my book of workouts, found today's workout, and started to worry. Normally, I would worry that a workout will be hard or push me to a place I may not be ready to go that day, but today was different...quite the opposite, in fact. I thought out loud, "This is too short...too easy..." I wondered aloud, "Did my trainer realize how short today's workout would be? Did he forget how fast and strong I can be when I want to be? or that I always workout for almost 2 hrs??? What was he thinking?". However...I made W a promise that I would stick to the plan that he provided me with...no exceptions...no additions. I also know from my past experience with him that he DOES know a thing or two...or three and more importantly...I trust him. He's never let me down and always, always given me great results. Sooo... armed with the resolve to keep my word and my water and workout book, I dropped all my kids off at their schools and I headed to the gym.

It has been interesting, because I've had to swallow my pride and ASK for things. I had to ask for a jumprope, because I don't know where they keep them and ask if I could use a room in the back. What do you know? I was just fine...no one was mean...and everyone has been more than willing to lend a hand...in fact, I think they are refreshed to see that I really AM human.

WEEK 1/DAY 2

(warm up for 5 min on crosstrainer)
1 MIN JUMPROPE
12 DUMBBELL SWINGS (30#)
REPEAT 10 X
THEN...RUN 1/2 MILE AT TOP SPEED

CARDIO

35 MIN RECUMBENT BIKE (SET ON RANDOM HILLS)
5 MINUTE RUN ON TREADMILL

I was surprised at how difficult the workout was. I was beet red and sweating like crazy. It didn't take long. I would do 2 rounds, rest for a minute or two, and then begin again. It started out easy and by the 4th round I was hotter and more tired than I expected to be. I wasn't wiped out, but I could tell that I was exerting myself. I was drop dead tired after the 1/2 mile run at top speed. I had to rest for 5 minutes before I did my cardio. All in all, it was good. I may have to go to the doctor, because my foot was hurting like a ....(fill in the blank with your choice of a number of bad words). It ached the entire time and it is still really bothering me...hours later...even after icing it.

It took me 30 MIN to complete the jumproping and DB swings, 3min 32 sec to run 1/2 a mile, 5 min to recover, 40 min for cardio, and 5 min to stretch. TOTAL WORKOUT TIME START TO FINISH= 1 HOUR 23 MIN AND 32 SEC.

I hope this is enough. I'm used to working out longer, but it could be that it's taken me an extra 25-30 min because I was talking and laughing before. Now...it's all me and it's all business. I guess time will tell. I just hope it tells me what I want to hear.

POSTSCRIPT...
OBVIOUSLY I underestimated the past two workouts, because as I sit here at 10pm with ice on my knee and ice on my foot...I am feeling very sore. I'm sore under my arms...on my shoulders...in my quads...my chest...Man, I'm sore all over! W- you got me again! That's why I love ya!

No comments: