Saturday, September 29, 2007

Day 16...sideshow fReAK...


I went to the gym after my daughter's early morning soccer game. I put my kids in the daycare, did a 5 min warmup, and set up in the back for my workout. It was a good one...it got me. It was deceiving, because there are only 20 of most of the exercises, but I was soaking wet from sweating within 10 minutes. It's so funny working out like I do. It's amusing to see people's reactions. I recognize that it is different...out of the ordinary...even scary to some people...the "normal" ones that just come in, get on the treadmill or elliptical, and then use a few machines. I am fully aware of the fact that it, I am the one that's different...and that's OK.

Years ago...even months or maybe even weeks ago...the stares and weird looks would get me self conscious...make me feel like a weirdo. Not anymore. After 2 weeks of doing these workouts left for me by my trainer...and doing them alone...successfully...I am proud to be different...hardcore...scary. I'm proud because it's hard...it takes strength mentally and physically...it takes guts...it takes determination and suffering to do what I do. I did my workout among nothing but men mostly...staring...trying to figure me out...trying to keep up...not sure whether to think it's sexy or scary. Then as I showed Paul how to do KTEs (knees to elbows) and SDHPs (sumo deadlift high pulls)...one man actually stopped what he was doing to stare. His eyes followed us...he even shook his head and raised his eyebrows. For just a moment, I felt like an oddity in a sideshow...a freak...ugly...weird. But as soon as that moment passed, I walked by with as much bravado as I could outwardly show and continued on as if he were not even there.

Funny how as humans we are programmed to think different is bad...wrong...it's not...it's just...different. Funny how we fear and hate people that do things that we think we cannot. I used to be that way. Now I know better, because I was taught and trained to be better than I thought I could be...taught and trained to have confidence in my abilities...taught and trained to never give up when I fail, but to try again and again and again until I succeed. Anyone can do what I do...but they have to WANT it...SUFFER for it...WORK for it...be willing to be different. I used to have self imposed limits. Now I know that there should never be a limit...I should always be working towards more...pushing back those limits...changing them. So, let em look. Let em act as though I'm a sideshow freak. From now on, I'll take it as a compliment. All that it means, is that I'm working hard and doing well...that I'm rising above the mediocrity that I was content with for most of my life. Today was a good hard workout. I enjoyed it. It killed me and I loved it...and then I wanted more...but I stopped...like I promised W I would.

WEEK2/ DAY6
(5 min warm up)
50 X SDHP
20 X BALL SLAMS 10#
20 X BALL TOSS
20 X BACK EXTENSIONS
20 X SITUPS
20 X PUSHUPS
20 X KTE
20 X SHOULDER PRESS 15#
20 X BURPEES
20 X PULLUPS (did assisted with foot on platforms)
(35 MIN)

CARDIO
3 ROUNDS 2 MIN JUMPROPE
INTERVALS ON TREADMILL 20 MIN (3 MIN EA-4.0 WALK/8.0 RUN)
(5 min stretch)
TOTAL TIME= 1 HR 11MIN

No comments: