Sunday, December 7, 2008

Day 449...yOu gOttA cOmmiT...

My client was very frustrated when she was not able to come in on Friday to workout. She was "having a day" and it just was impossible. She asked me in a text tO let her know if I could figure out a way that she could workout. I said, "Come tomorrow morning." She agreed. When she came in, she expressed her frustration over trying to be committed but always facing obstacles. I reminded her that it will NEVER be convenient and with kids and a job..it will take real commitment and dedication. I also told her that I'm happy to reschedule when she has conflicts for another time/day.

I talked a bit about my weight loss journey and the phases I went through a little over 5 years ago. She asked how I've been able to consistently workout 6 days a week. I said, "It's easy. I treat it like a job. There is no option not to do it. If my kids have an awards ceremony, then I move my workout time and give up lunch with a family member or an afternoon of shopping. I DO NOT give myself an out. NOT working out...is NOT an option." I told her that it has not always been easy. Many people have judged me when they ask me to do something and I say, "I can't. That's when I workout." The don't see commitment. They see me as shallow and self-absorbed. But I also explained tHat being committed to being healthy and fit has given me back my life...and has changed me in ways that are incredible..not just physically, but spiritually and mentally.

I was REALLY glad we had that conversation Saturday. It reminded me how important it is to be truly committed to working out.

SUNDAY=REST DAY

No comments: